At the Founding Conference of The Socialist Network in Istanbul in August 2012 the statement below was agreed upon. It was understood that our basic ideas will evolve and improve as we gain new experiences and members, and as we deepen the discussion. While a founding statement will obviously always remain a founding statement, we see this as being used rather than preserved. At each conference of The Socialist Network, members have the possibility of amending the statement, transforming it from a founding statement into a continuous restatement of our vision and basic ideas.
- The name of the organisation will be The Socialist Network (TSN).
- The purpose of the Network is to work on every level for the advancement of socialist ideas. Such work to include:
- Analysis and discussion of today?s Capitalist society and possibilities of action to transform it into a Socialist one
- Exchange of ideas and coordination of activities of socialists on an international level
- Participation in the mass struggles of the working class and other oppressed groups
- Today the world is ripe for socialism. The only two things needed are:
- The nationalisation under democratic control of the banks and the big companies that dominate the economy in order to make possible the rational planning of the economy. Under this general planning smaller enterprises and businesses will continue to function under private ownership subject to basic protection of the workers.
- That the bourgeois state repressive apparatus should be dismantled and democratic control by the people should be extended to all spheres of social interaction. To achieve these changes, the wide support of the working class and other oppressed groups is needed in order to gain political power and be able to defend it. Winning such support to the need for socialist transformation is the most important task of the Network.
- Membership is open to everyone who agrees with the basic principles of the organisation, abides by its rules and pays membership fees. Groups or Individuals should be actively involved in the struggles and political activity of the working class and other oppressed groups.
- The Network not a substitute for and does not work in opposition to the broad organisations of the working class. On the contrary, it participates in their struggle and strives for the widest possible unity of working class organisations. It is only through them that socialist ideas can become a mass force that can change society. The Network does not hide its ideas and does not refrain from criticism of any leadership or policy of the working class organisations which it considers wrong or inadequate. While remaining loyal to the common cause and displaying solidarity in the common struggle, it fights for the change of wrong policies and the replacement of inadequate leaderships where it considers that to be necessary.
- The Network is not an organisation that imposes bureaucratic discipline on its members. Free expression of ideas is unconditional. Thus the Network provides ideas, discussion and help but does not issue commands to its Groups and Individual members, which retain their independent existence and the right to act in accordance to their own decisions.
- The work of the Network is coordinated by an International Coordinating Committee. The ICC is not a political leadership in the traditional sense. Its task is to implement procedures and coordinate activities in the most efficient way possible, compatible with the independent existence of its members.
- Functional bodies and functionaries (editorial boards, editors, treasurers etc.) will also be elected or appointed in order to carry out practical tasks.
- The Network will hold regular conferences and public meetings and events to develop the discussion on how to advance towards socialism and decide upon policies and activities.
- The Socialist Network has no interests separate and apart from those of the working class as a whole.